Monday, September 12, 2011

Relatively Recent Ramblings (Part 2)


The last major event of May was working on the dessert theatre set. From what I remember it was really hot that week in the shop. Although, I guess that should be expected of a giant metal building sitting in the sun. We made some good progress with painting the shops and the doctor’s house. I am very thankful for everyone who came out and helped.
Once I returned home, I began my job search. I sent out about fourteen cover letters for a variety of theatre jobs. I also filled out about half dozen or so applications for places like Sears and Kmart. Sending out cover letters can be a very depressing process. It involves hours of searching for places to send letters to, hours of personalizing letters to those places, and then hours of waiting. Job searching is a full time job in itself.     
By the time June rolled around, I finally had some success in my job search. I had a phone interview with a theatre in Florida for an internship. The Friday before I left to return Bethel, I received a phone call and was offered the internship. After thinking about it over the weekend and talking to my loan companies, I officially accepted the offer on the following Monday. Overall, Dessert Theatre week went well. The set turned out good and I had a lot of time to spend on details, which I enjoyed. The best part of the week was simply getting to see everyone again.
The week after Dessert Theatre, I got to go with Jeanne and Greg to see Drew University. There are some very beautiful places between Mishawaka, Indiana and Madison, New Jersey. Having spent most of my time in Michigan and Indiana, I’m not used to seeing mountains very often. So it was amazing to see the mountains on our trip. In some ways it is just as amazing seeing how we have managed to make roads through them. Arriving at Drew felt like quite an accomplishment after being in the car for so long. I can only imagine how Jeanne felt after having driven for fourteen hours. Drew’s campus has a lot of character. It was exciting to get to see the building of the Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey. We went in and asked (well Jeanne asked) if we could see the theatre and they let is take a peak. It was incredible! It would be really cool to see a show there one day. As we continued our tour, I was very surprised at how many squirrels, chipmunks, and groundhogs there were. I thought that Bethel had a lot of rodents, but it really doesn’t have anything on Drew University. The city of Madison seemed to have just as much character as Drew’s campus. We ate at the Nautilus, browsed a furniture store that was selling a 10,000 dollar couch, and hung out in a comic book store waiting for it to stop raining. It was a very neat experience getting to see where Greg is going to be living for the next couple years, and I’m really glad that Jeanne and Greg let me go along with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment