Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Relatively Recent Ramblings (Part 3)


The day we returned from New Jersey, I got on the South Shore Train and took it up to Michigan City. You might be asking: “Why did you do that?” or maybe “Who goes to Michigan City?” Well, I was going to visit Shane and Asha who were performing in The Wrong Turn At Lungfish at the Canterbury Theatre. They picked me up from the train station, which is much more like a bus stop than a train station. The tracks run right down the middle of the road and there are no guardrails. It was very odd. Anyways, we went to dinner and on a brief tour of Michigan City and the theatre. The area seemed like it used to be nice, but it’s not the greatest right now.  When our tour was finished, Shane and Asha needed to get ready for the show. So I waited in the lobby.
Thankfully, Ronni’s mom decided to come and see the show. We talked for a while until the house opened and then we watched the show together. I was really impressed with the production. I mean the theatre is small, the lighting fixtures are ancient, the designs weren’t the greatest, but they didn’t have to be. The script was interesting, the acting was good, and the design elements created enough of a world for the story to unfold in. It’s really amazing what you can accomplish on a shoestring budget, a small amount of time, and a bit of talent. Maybe money doesn’t make theatre good, or should it be money doesn’t make good theatre? Hmmm…
The next day, Ronni and her mom drove me back home, and I started to settle into being in Plymouth. I don’t really recall any specific events during the weeks that followed Dessert Theatre other than going and seeing fireworks. I had pictured myself going right from Dessert Theatre to my next job. Instead, I ended up reading, playing video games, and gardening. Though maybe there was a reason for I didn’t end up finding a summer job.
July finally rolled around and it brought with it the final big event of the summer, Eric and Chelsea’s wedding. One of the reasons that graduation was anticlimactic was that I knew that during the summer I would get to see people again. After graduation there was choir tour, and after choir tour was Dessert Theater, and then after Dessert Theatre there was Eric and Chelsea’s Wedding. The problem here being that there were no more events after the wedding. It was the last time I knew for sure that I was going to see my friends. That hit me pretty hard.  
I had never been in a wedding before so I didn’t know what a groomsman was expected to do. What I found is that it require very little thought or physical exertion. Basically you show up when you’re told to show up, walk when you’re told to walk, and stand where you’re told to stand. Though, I will say that standing still is surprisingly taxing. It seemed to be a very nice wedding. Everything went smoothly. No one fell going down the isle, there was no wardrobe malfunctions, and Eric didn’t accidentally set Chelsea on fire when the lit the unity candle. Anyways, it was an honor to get to be a part of such an important day in Eric and Chelsea’s life.
After the wedding was finished, I got to spend the rest of the week with Greg and the Fox Family. It took Greg and I a few days to recover from the crazy busy weekend, so we mostly just read and played games. It was a nice change of pace. Later in the week, we got to go on an adventure to the Warren Dunes. It would be our luck that we chose to go to the beach on the hottest day of the year. The temperature made being in the water just that much more enjoyable, but the sand had to be a billion degrees. It must have been quite a site watching us walk from the water back to the parking lot. Our trip to the dunes reinforced my love of Lake Michigan, as well as gave me a fun sunburn. After a few more days at the Fox Den, I left the Mishawaka area for the last time. Well at least for a little while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment